Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
AOPA is committed to maintaining your privacy and providing you with options regarding the use of your personal information.
What information do we collect?
- We collect information you provide such as your name, address, email address, contact information, and date of birth, to complete the transaction you request.
- We collect medical information you provide to the Medical Department when you request assistance with medical certiﬁcation issues.
- We collect credit card information to process the orders you request such as membership and additional services.
- We collect demographic information you provide and as may be publicly available through other sources to help us learn member characteristics and needs.
- We monitor our website traﬃc and analyze which pages are popular, which are not, what areas of the country or the world our traﬃc is coming from, and the like, using “Cookies and Tracking Pixels.”4 The information we collect may help us deliver targeted advertising and communicate better with you.
- We may collect geolocation data about your location to provide you with a better user experience when using our applications.
- We collect any educational, recreational, professional or employment information that you share with us or direct others to share with or make available to us.
- If you are a student or educator and would like to use an education discount, we may collect information about your status to verify eligibility and maintain information about your affiliation with an educational institution.
All AOPA sites and services are intended for general aviator audiences. If we learn we have inadvertently collected personal information of a minor under the age of 13, we will delete it or obtain permission to retain such information. We do not knowingly sell or share the information of children under 16 years of age.
How do we use your information?
In the section below, we list how we might use/share your personal information and whether you can limit this sharing.
Reasons We Use/Share Your Personal Information
Do We Share?
Can You Limit This Sharing?
For AOPA’s everyday business, mission support and advocacy purposes—to process your transactions such as membership applications, renewals and purchases, reply to your inquiries, mail your magazine, communicate important legislative, regulatory or informational updates we think may be of interest to you, allow your participation in AOPA activities and use of AOPA services, respond to court orders and legal investigations.
For AOPA’s marketing purposes—to offer additional AOPA products and services to you such as AOPA’s Pilot Protection Services and the AOPA Store.
For our Affiliated Companies’1 everyday business purposes—to provide you information about services or products available from AOPA affiliates that may be of interest to you.
For Joint Marketing3 with other companies—to jointly offer with other companies certain of their products and services we have selected that may be of interest to you.
For Non-Affiliates2 to market to you—We may occasionally share or exchange your name and mailing address with selected Non-Affiliates2 to allow them to provide you with information about products or services that may be of interest to you. A fee may be charged for such exchanges.
*In some circumstances, you may not be able to limit the sharing of your information when such information is required by law to be shared (i.e. a subpoena).
Information we may have exchanged in the past twelve months with affiliates:
Name, address, email address, phone number, date of birth, medical information, credit card and transactional information, demographic information, geolocation, educational, recreational, professional, and employment.
Information we have exchanged with our affiliates and non-affiliates in the past twelve months:
Name, mailing address, and in limited circumstances, email addresses.
HOW DO WE PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Data security and protection
Except as required by subpoena or order of court:
- And except in limited circumstances, we do not release your email address to anyone other than- AOPA Aﬃliated Companies1. With the exception of your name and mailing address, we do not release your personally identiﬁable information to anyone except AOPA Aﬃliated Companies1 . In limited circumstances, we exchange your name and mailing address with companies with which we have Joint Marketing3 agreements. We never sell or rent your personal information to telemarketers or list brokers.
- Any company we allow to use your personally identiﬁable information is legally and contractually obligated not to use it for any purpose other than the speciﬁc product or service we have authorized. They may not contact you for any other purpose without AOPA’s consent.
- We may occasionally share aggregated, general demographics, such as composition or geographic distribution of our membership.
- Only authorized employees have access to your personal information. Agents and contractors (who have agreed to keep information secure and conﬁdential) have limited access to names, mailing addresses, and in more limited circumstances, email addresses.
- Personal medical information you provide is accessible only by those AOPA staﬀ and medical consultants with the appropriate expertise, training, and responsibility to assist you, and is used only for that purpose. Your conversations with the medical staﬀ are completely conﬁdential. Your case will be discussed with the FAA, physicians, or other medical experts only with your authorization.
- We do not disclose your credit card information to anyone other than the credit card
company that processes the charge. For your personal security, we encourage you not to use email to communicate credit card information.
- AOPA will take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is stored in a secure environment protected from unauthorized access, modiﬁcation, or disclosure. AOPA uses industry standard safeguards to ensure the security of personal information through physical, electronic, and managerial procedures.
- While we are committed to securing your personal information, there may be times that we are legally required to disclose your personal information pursuant to a subpoena or court order.
Whenever personal data is collected by a website the data is secured in transit by Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) technology. SSL ensures that the data in transit between the Web server and your client machine is encrypted and that the information was not changed in transit.
- Although AOPA’s site includes links and advertising to other Internet sites, AOPA takes no responsibility for the content or information contained on those sites. AOPA provides these links and advertisements as a beneﬁt and service to our members, but we have no control over those sites.
- Other sites that you visit may have their own distinct privacy policies or no policy at all. They may use personal information that you may provide them diﬀerently than our policy permits.
AOPA strongly encourages you to review the privacy policies of any site before providing any personal information to them.
YOUR RIGHTS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- the right to know the Personal Information we collect, use, or disclose. To exercise your right to know, click here;
- the right to request deletion of the Personal Information we collect from you. To exercise your right to request deletion, click here;
- the right to direct AOPA not to sell your Personal Information To exercise your right to direct AOPA not to sell your Personal Information, please follow the steps found on the Do Not Sell My Personal Information form.
- the right to non-discrimination against you for exercising your rights;
Information collected and/or used in the past twelve (12) months:
- In the past 12 months, AOPA may have sold the following consumer personal information: (1) Name, (2) Physical Address.
- In the past 12 months, AOPA may have used for business purposes all categories of information that have been collected by AOPA.
How can you control your personal information?
You may opt out of AOPA's use of your personal information.
- We respect your privacy and your choices. You may request at any time to have your name, address, phone number, or e-mail address excluded from various types of communications you receive from AOPA. Please note that you may still receive transactional emails after exercising these choices.
- No mail, email, or phone calls from Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association.
- No mail, email, or phone calls from our Affiliated Companies1, individually or as a group.
- No mail, email, or phone calls from our Joint Marketing3 partners.
- No mail from Non-Affiliates2.
- You can request that we only contact you through one of those methods of communication, or even specify what types of contacts you do not desire.
- For individual email solicitations pertaining to a specific product or offering, you may elect to unsubscribe. A link is located prominently in all of our email solicitations.
Please let us know your preferences by calling us at 800/USA-AOPA (872-2672), updating your account information online, or emailing us at [email protected].
- Companies related to Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association by common ownership or control. They include companies with an “AOPA” name; such as The AOPA Foundation, Inc. (“AFI”), and AOPA Holdings Corporation.
Non-Affiliated or Non-Affiliates2
- Companies that are not related to AOPA by common ownership or control.
- An agreement between AOPA or AFI and a Non-Aﬃliated company under which selected products or services are jointly marketed.
Cookies and Tracking Pixels4
- Cookies are small ﬁles that your Web browser places on your computer’s hard drive. They allow us to see the time and date you visited, your IP address, the type of Internet browser you used, and what pages you viewed. At no point does your actual identity become known. This information may be collected by or shared with third-party vendors and partners, such as Google. AOPA may use tools, such as Google Analytics for Display Advertising and Remarketing. These tools allow AOPA to promote our products and services to website visitors after they have visited the AOPA website. Most Web browsers allow you to decline to accept cookies.
- This site employs the use of tracking pixels, also known as a Web beacon. A Web beacon is a small image which is attached to a Web page or link, but is not visible to the user. When a Web beacon enabled Web page is loaded, or link is clicked, the Web beacon reports that activity to the organizations Web activity system. No personally identiﬁable information is collected through the use of Web beacons.
This policy was last updated 6/12/2023. AOPA may from time to time update this policy. When that occurs, we will notify you by posting the changes to this page. AOPA encourages you to periodically review this policy to be informed of how we are protecting your information.